BIG CREATIVE APPRENTICESHIPS (BCAP) – EMPLOYERS
JOIN THE MOVEMENT
The Advanced Creative Apprenticeship Standard is a level 3 programme combining work place learning with ‘off the Job Training’ while being employed to do a specific job role. Apprentices are placed within industry-specific companies, while also receiving relevant training & support from BCT.
APPRENTICESHIP STANDARDS (Tab 1)
The purpose of the apprenticeship is to equip young people with the real-world experience and training needed to succeed in the creative industries and to be an invaluable asset to your business.
Currently BCT offers apprenticeship standards in
1. Digital Marketer
2. Digital Marketer in the Music Industry
3. Events Assistant
4. Junior Content Producer (launch date tbc)
New programmes are under design and due to be launched very soon.
We are looking for employers within the creative industries to recruit our apprentices, design and collaborate on a bespoke training programme which will add value to your organisation now and for the future.
We work with some of the leading employers in the field and are recognised by Creative Skillset – ‘Pick The Tick’ standard for excellence. BCT was also shortlisted for the Times Educational 2015 FE Provider of the Year Award.
WHY CHOOSE AN APPRENTICE?
- 77% of employers believe apprenticeships make them more competitive;
- 80% feel that apprenticeships reduce staff turnover;
- 83% of BCT apprentices progress into a career in the creative industries and most are retained by their apprenticeship employer
BCT apprentices are generally aged between 16-24 and have a minimum of 5 GCSE’s A*- C including Maths and English (or an equivalent at level 2). The pool of apprentices availale through BCT includes;
• Young people that have completed A levels or BTEC at College
• University graduates
• Young people graduating from 2 year creative studies at Big Creative Academy
• Graduates from BRIT as part of the BCE & BRIT progression agreement
GREAT FOR YOUR BUSINESS
Hiring an apprentice is an inexpensive solution to finding young and able support staff for your team; we prepare them for roles such as runners, marketing & web assistants, promoters, PA’s and creatives etc. They have been and will continue to be trained in very specific skills relevant to the media, music business or events industry and are taught by industry professionals to the latest industry standards.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- An Advanced Apprenticeship at BCT combines entry level employment with the new nationally recognised and industry endorsed Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard. An apprenticeship is a fully supported alternative to informal internships or work placements adding more value to your business. The recommended duration of our apprenticeships is 15 months. This allows the time needed for an apprentice to be fully integrated and confident within his/her role and also for you to reap the full benefits of a full time apprentice.
First 12 months: Your apprentice will attend online seminars, tutorials and masterclasses. (approximately ½ day per week)
Final 3 months: Your apprentice will have a more intensive period of study and preparation for their ‘end point assessment’ in order to achieve their apprenticeship standard that will include;
Assessment interview in controlled conditions
HOW DOES THE FUNDING WORK?
The Apprenticeship Levy
The new Apprenticeship Levy being introduced from April 2017 is designed to encourage employers to embrace apprenticeships as a way of meeting their current and future skills needs. It will fund the government’s ambition to support 3 million high quality apprenticeships by 2020.
All employers in the UK with a payroll bill greater than £3m per year will have to pay the levy and will be charged at 0.5% of payroll. The Levy will fund ‘digital training vouchers’ for apprentices allocated to employers to fund apprenticeship training (and cannot be used for wages, standards development, training materials or course content)
Non Levy Employers (under £3m payroll)
• Employers not subject to the Levy (with paye bills under £3m) are entitled to 90% of their Apprenticeship training costs paid
• Employers / SME’s with under 50 employees can have all their training costs paid in full if the apprentice is aged 16-18.
• Employers / SME’s with under 50 employees pay 10% of the training costs for apprentices aged 19+. This cost is £900 for the Creative Standards offered by Big Creative Training towards the £9000 overall cost of training & assessment.
Additional Benefits and grants
Employers will receive an additional £1000 when they employ a 16-18 y/o apprentices to pay towards the extra support younger apprentices need.
In London employers can apply for an additional ‘Apprenticeship Grant for Employers’ (AGE Grant) of £1500 per apprentice subject to availability. The BCT employer team will support you with this process.
Whether you are a small or large employer, subject to the Levy or not, changes to funding can represent opportunities to grow your workforce through apprenticeships with Big Creative.
If your interested in joining the Big Creative Apprenticeship movement and taking on a creative apprentice please contact;
Ohaji Kamara (Media / Marketing) firstname.lastname@example.org M 07712 481 994
Dave Newton (Music / Events) email@example.com M 07792 254 718
Big Creative Apprenticeship Training Agency (ATA)
An Apprenticeship Training Agency or ATA is an ‘umbrella’ employer for a group of apprentices who work across various organisations. ATAs are ideal for project-based, freelance-dominated sectors with many SMEs such as the creative industries (i.e. where there are limited opportunities for an apprentice to spend at least 12 months with one employer).
Big Creative was approved as an ATA in late 2016 and we are currently developing our menu of services for employers who find it difficult to commit to an apprentice for 12 months. If you are interested in finding out more about our new ATA and how it can help you support new apprenticeships in your organisation get in touch. firstname.lastname@example.org
Sam Barcroft – CEO Barcroft Production
Many of our BCT apprentices have graduated to become important members of the Barcraft teamholding responsible positions and even winning awards. Its been great to have been able to support their talent.
Robin Elias – Managing Editor ITV News
I like BCT because they have introduced ITN to a group of enthusiastic young people from diverse backgrounds that are driven by a passion for media.
Amanda Brown – Head of Content Audioboo
BCT gave us a list of amazing young people to interview, which is great help to a small business where recruitment can be a nightmare. The young people were enthusiastic, motivated and ready to learn.